|— Town —|
|Coordinates: 30°24′49″N 87°35′57″W|
|- Total||0.7 sq mi (1.9 km2)|
|- Land||0.7 sq mi (1.9 km2)|
|- Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||66 ft (20 m)|
|- Density||788.6/sq mi (290.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|- Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0117910|
Elberta is located at 30°24’49.104″ North, 87°35’57.667″ West (30.413640, -87.599352).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.8 square miles (1.9 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 552 people, 228 households, and 152 families residing in the town. The population density was 736.9 people per square mile (284.2/km2). There were 250 housing units at an average density of 333.8 per square mile (128.7/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 95.11% White, 0.18% Black or African American, 1.09% Native American, 0.18% Pacific Islander, 3.08% from other races, and 0.36% from two or more races. 3.80% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 228 households out of which 30.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.6% were married couples living together, 17.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.3% were non-families. 29.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.5% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 21.9% from 45 to 64, and 19.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 87.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $22,375, and the median income for a family was $28,125. Males had a median income of $28,500 versus $20,833 for females. The per capita income for the town was $12,942. About 16.1% of families and 20.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.1% of those under age 18 and 12.4% of those age 65 or over.
Elberta is a part of the Baldwin County Public Schools system.
Elberta has two schools, which are Elberta Elementary School (K-3) and Elberta Middle School (4-8). Elberta students continue to Foley High School (9-12) in Foley, with the exception of those who go on to attend the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program in Fairhope, Alabama.
Elberta was founded in the early 20th century by a Chicago based land company. The Baldwin County Colonization Company was organized in 1903 and the first settlers arrived in 1904. The community was founded by farmers who had immigrated from Germany to the midwest of America. The land company advertised the area as having rich soil and a climate that allowed year round farming. The first two organized churches were Lutheran (1908) and Catholic (1911). (“Land of Milk and Honey” by John Haupt as told to Nina Keenam, 1990)
The land company laid out Baldwin County in the manner found in the midwest; that is to say, roads were laid out on section lines that were due north-south and east-west. Property, especially farms, were laid out in squares. With the immigration taking these farmers through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and other midwestern states, the early years of the community resembled midwestern farming communities more than those of the deep south. In the 1930s through the 1940s, the town boasted a farmer’s hall where dancing and singing were enjoyed, a hotel, a movie theatre, as well as a butcher shop, grocery and drug store. Many of the residents spoke German and St. Mark’s Lutheran Church offered German language services until 1976.
The State Bank of Elberta was incorporated in 1922. The bank was unusual in that it did not close during the Great Depression.
The town was incorporated by vote on December 9, 1952.
To support the town’s volunteer fire department, “The Elberta German Sausage Festival” was started in the mid-1970s. This event is held the last weekend of March and the last weekend of October and features polka music, Elberta German Sausage, and 250 arts and crafts vendors.
The town is the home of the Baldwin County Heritage Museum. The museum is located on U.S. Highway 98 east of the town. It features exhibits devoted to the development of Baldwin County. The museum includes a large amount of farm equipment and exhibits of life in farm homes. The old St. Mark’s Lutheran Church building was moved to the grounds and restored.